Senior Designer, EquipmentRohnert Park, California, United States Apply Now Job ID 1702568
- Collaborates with Brand Manager, Equipment to create new products and innovations on time and within budget. Incorporates the Product Direction and Product Briefs provided by the Brand Manager, Equipment in conjunction with feedback from concept meetings to determine solutions to functional and design challenges. Creates design concepts that reflect the goals of the Equipment Category and apply solutions to functional and design challenges. Works within cost and manufacturing limitations.
- Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Leading a team
- Partnering with Director, Design on creative direction
- Execution of creation
- Driving execution across multiple categories & Brands
- Hands on design
- Contributes to the development of sales strategies and stories for product based on innovation and sellable features that will enhance marketing of the product.
- Drives innovation and technology into commercially viable product within the parameters of the Brand strategy.
- Accurately determines, anticipates and validates future trends, technologies and cultural drivers to expand and grow the assortment across all categories.
- Accountable for driving the business by building profitable, market right, consumer product that is in line with the department and company financial targets.
- Experience working with factories and Product Development teams, developing fabric, technology and construction innovation.
- Ensures product design execution is within target costs and margin requirements.
- Works with sales, marketing, business development, key accounts and athletes to identify opportunities to meet or build consumer demand for NBTA products, to improve market share through new fabric, construction and product concepts, and to develop seasonal strategies.
- Researches the worldwide marketplace and interpret consumer and market needs as they relate to the respective product category. This includes researching construction, materials, fabric, color and design concepts and collecting feedback from customers and athletes. Attends selected trade shows for market research and attend sales meetings to gain a thorough understanding of customer and product requirements.
- Applies knowledge of product construction, design and appropriate software, in addition to tactical problem solving skills, to prioritize and produce a variety of backpack, Tent, Sleeping Bag and equipment specifications.
- Communicates complex details and specifications to a variety of contractors where English is limited.
- Works on multiple tasks concurrently, requiring the ability to manage multiple conflicting priorities and details, while adhering to timelines, to keep the operations on schedule.
- Actively manages professional development.
- University or four-year college degree in Industrial Design or equivalent experience
- A minimum of 8 years of professional experience in various phases of outdoor equipment design, construction and manufacturing
- Extensive knowledge of backpack, sleeping bag, tent and other equipment construction, material construction, product testing and properties, costing, fabrics and trims
- Thorough understanding of the design, development and merchandising process from inception through production
- Strong knowledge of technical and design needs to build exceptional product focused on technical fabric and construction innovation and margin
- Experience working with factories and Product Development teams, developing fabric and other materials technology and construction innovation
- Extensive industry and consumer trend knowledge in the outdoor industry
- Practical knowledge of other functions such as sourcing, production, sales, marketing and merchandising preferred
- Comfortable working with department executives, suppliers, engineers, and manufacturers to identify and develop new product concepts, innovations and construction technologies
- Proactive and passionate approach to driving fresh, innovative thinking from product concept to final execution
- Able to manage and lead change
- Able to mentor and guide/collaborate among cross-functional teams to achieve business goals
- Presentation/speaking skills – able to present and sell to all levels of the organization as well as the customer, communicating a clear and inspiring vision
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Able to precisely communicate and negotiate time frames verbally and in writing in a multi-cultural environment
- Demonstrated collaboration, interpersonal influence, and teamwork skills (maintains effective communication and working relationships)
- Results orientation while exhibiting great energy and resourcefulness
- Self-starter who brings passion, enthusiasm and focus to each project
- Strong project planning, organizational and time management skills and a high level of initiative
- Strong analytical skills and data-driven thinking
- Attention to detail
- Team player - puts aside personal goals and works well with others, doing what needs to be done to strive for a common goal
- Able to manage to deadlines, be flexible with change, drive to timely resolution
- High degree of proficiency in Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign using a Mac computer required
- Proficiency in all Microsoft programs on a Mac; intermediate Microsoft Excel skills required
- Sense of humor and a passion for what you do
- Able to travel up to 20% of the year, including international travel to factories and tradeshows
Let us connect you
With just one click and a connection to LinkedIn, we can connect you to jobs that best match your work experience.Start Matching